Thursday, September 11, 2008

I do remember....

Everywhere I look today there is a reminder of what happened on 9/11/01 and the question asking where one was or what one was doing. I don't think that the ones who remember will ever forget. I was in college and asleep at 7:30 in the morning when one of my roommates screamed. She was a bit on the crazy side herself, so this annoyed me, rather than alarmed me. I did however; get out of bed and ask her what the heck she thought she was screaming about at that hour. All she could do was point at her tv and stammer that a plane had flown into the WTC. I was dumbfounded, and for a second I had to think on where the twin towers actually were located geographically. It was right after the first plane hit. My dad has been flying since he was 18 and I have been in airplanes large and small since i was 6 weeks old, so I knew without a shadow of a doubt that this was no accident. That no plane would be flying at the altitude over NYC with the FAA having a cow. That no pilot in his right mind would ram his plane into a building, no matter what the issue was. I missed my first class that day because I couldn't imagine listening to my teacher talk about the Geography of Latin America. I did make it to my second class, HR Mgt, but even my teacher said he didn't know why we were even there and to go home. Even though we were in MS, everyone was wandering around in a fog of disbelief. It seems as if that vulnerabilty we felt at that time has worn off and most americans are back to being the arrogant s.o.b.s that they always were, impervious to attack, only worried about frivolous issues.

No comments: